Disheartening quote from Duquette in this article

miggyfan

http://mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20161006&content_id=205196670&vkey=news_bal&c_id=bal

If you read this article Duquette is quoted as saying that we are going to continue the 2016 approach...Lot's of power, solid defense and a great bullpen.

If this is the case, I think he needs to go. It seems he is blind to the weaknesses of this team...starting pitching and hitters who are more concerned about consistently making solid contact and getting on base rather than trying to hit the ball 450 feet every time up.

So it looks as though we haven't learned from our struggles and will be doomed to be a borderline play-off team that basically has no chance to win a championship even if we do make it to the play-offs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is what DD said:

Duquette said the Orioles will likely replicate their 2016 approach -- lots of power, good defense and a strong bullpen -- in 2017 as they try to earn a playoff spot for the fourth time in six seasons. They are looking to improve their starting rotation, though Duquette and Showalter both spoke of the importance of getting help from the entire team to win games on a regular basis.

"This American League East is a tough, tough division," Duquette said. "We're facing a good team night in and night out. We like to have power throughout our lineup. The power plays pretty well in our ballpark. They don't have any fielders on the other side of the fence."

He said it is "likely"

I dont find it all that disheartening. He isnt saying they will ignore starting pitching. He actually said they will look to improve it.

You guys act like DD can just dial up 1-800-Starting Pitcher and get some TOR guys with a simple phone call.

Here is what DD said:

Duquette said the Orioles will likely replicate their 2016 approach -- lots of power, good defense and a strong bullpen -- in 2017 as they try to earn a playoff spot for the fourth time in six seasons. They are looking to improve their starting rotation, though Duquette and Showalter both spoke of the importance of getting help from the entire team to win games on a regular basis.

"This American League East is a tough, tough division," Duquette said. "We're facing a good team night in and night out. We like to have power throughout our lineup. The power plays pretty well in our ballpark. They don't have any fielders on the other side of the fence."

He said it is "likely"

I dont find it all that disheartening. He isnt saying they will ignore starting pitching. He actually said they will look to improve it.

You guys act like DD can just dial up 1-800-Starting Pitcher and get some TOR guys with a simple phone call.

I find it disheartening that some posters write about this team, like it was a colossal failure.

This team did manage to win 89 games.

It has weakeness, yes, lots of room to improve.

But, lets be a bit reasonable.

Duquette and ownership are quite happy with the results. Why change? Attendace was down slightly but cable viewership was up 35%. It's a winning formula. Keep the fans interested for the full season and hope for a miracle.

Ding, ding, ding....

Here is what DD said:

He said it is "likely"

I'm actually not real concerned with our starting pitching for next year, it's average with the possibility of being pretty good. I am more concerned with his lack of concern for the offense. He totally ignores that the offense was down right awful the 2nd half of the season because we lack players that can get on base and produce runs without hitting HRs.

The good thing is Duquette is known to lie a lot. Remember all of those times he said one of his biggest priorities was to have a team with better on-base percentage and then he'll sign a guy like Jimmy Paredes and have him on the ML roster for the entire year.

Duquette's thinking is not entirely off base. Recent trends towards improved defensive positioning and increased emphasis on defensive ability in allocating playing time mean that power has become more valuable. It's harder to build an offense on high batting averages when good defense is turning more balls-in-play into outs. On the other hand, good defense can't stop (most) home runs.

But the one thing missing from Duquette's analysis seems to be walks. Walks are also impossible to defend, and power hitters should be able to draw walks if they have adequate plate discipline, because pitchers are afraid of their power.

The O's don't necessarily need to give up on power, but they need to find more power hitters who are willing to take a walk, so that they can hit more home runs with men on base.

http://mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20161006&content_id=205196670&vkey=news_bal&c_id=bal

If you read this article Duquette is quoted as saying that we are going to continue the 2016 approach...Lot's of power, solid defense and a great bullpen.

If this is the case, I think he needs to go. It seems he is blind to the weaknesses of this team...starting pitching and hitters who are more concerned about consistently making solid contact and getting on base rather than trying to hit the ball 450 feet every time up.

So it looks as though we haven't learned from our struggles and will be doomed to be a borderline play-off team that basically has no chance to win a championship even if we do make it to the play-offs.

I'd be a lot more disheartened if he said he was going to retool the team to be more successful in the postseason based on myths.

This article takes excerpts from the press conference DD and Buck did two days ago. The Baltimore Sun has more quotes from the interview so if you really want to hear the full context go to the sun.

One of things DD said was that the team won 50 games at home. And power plays in Camden Yards and they want power throughout the line-up. But he said he wanted to improve OBP.

Here is the better article from two days ago:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-schmuck-duquette-indicates-orioles-might-not-have-big-changes-in-store-for-2017-20161006-story.html

I find it disheartening that some posters write about this team, like it was a colossal failure.

This team did manage to win 89 games.

It has weakeness, yes, lots of room to improve.

But, lets be a bit reasonable.

People for some reason thinks teams are made up of all great players and that you can't have a weak spot. If you look at the teams in the playoffs there is a weak spot for all the teams. Many of them are in positions that people swear you need a top notch bat.

I'd be a lot more disheartened if he said he was going to retool the team to be more successful in the postseason based on myths.

Couldn't agree more. Some slight improvements could easily put us at 90+ wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe DD keeps targeting high-strikeout low-OBP DH-types not because he prefers them, but rather because that is the only thing other teams are willing to throw away into the offseason dumpster.

They come cheap, which kind of becomes a necessity when you have such little payroll flexibility.

Archived